Tuesday 13 February 2018

The Hope of Spring

Don't we all love Susanna Leonard Hill? Here she goes again, giving us a great opportunity to write a story for children, this time with a Valentine theme.

Here's mine, dear Valentiny friends :)



Little Miss Bright-eyes Chickaree
hopped out of her nest in the cottonwood tree.
She was kind of hoping it would soon be spring
And all the birds would start to sing.

The sky would be blue, the sun would shine
And she would dance with her Valentine.

But Jack Frost nipped her nose and her toes
She snuffled and sneezed and her whiskers froze.
“I’m sure spring will soon be here,” she said
as she popped back into her cosy bed.

A day or two later she looked out again.
This time she was soaked by the icy rain.
“Forget about spring,” cried the squirrel next door.
“Winter will stay for evermore!”

Poor little Bright-eyes Chickaree,
 hid in her nest in the cottonwood tree.
The world was wintry, cold and grey,
Bur surely spring would arrive one day!
On Valentine’s morning she opened her eyes
And goodness gracious, what a surprise!

Squirrel Bushtail was there at her door,
With a posy of flowers clasped in his paw.
“Oh, Miss Bright-eyes, look what I found.
“Snowdrops poking their heads through the ground.
“When these brave little flowers start to appear
“We can be sure that spring is almost here!”

“The sky will be blue, the sun will shine,
“And I’ll dance with you, sweet Valentine!

19 comments:

  1. I can almost smell Spring in the air. I wish you well with this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your story and rhyme. Right now I feel like Bright-eyes Chickaree felt at the start of the story. Ha. So glad Squirrel Bushtail brought her the great news. Fantastic story. With heartfelt hope. Terrific. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robyn :) I am in Australia where we are going into Autumn. But I know that winter feeling!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Gregory and all good luck to you, too :)

      Delete
  4. I love poems about nature and springtime, especially when coupled with Valentine's. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your poem. It’s well written and has a classical feel. I love that Squirrel Bushtail brings her snowdrops. Great illustration potential too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Corine. I wish you well in the competition :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Carol Ann - definitely I know that winter feeling and am feeling like Miss Bright-eyes before Spring arrived ... today we have some sun ... bliss and the snowdrops are out - so your story rings true ... lovely poem - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it! Have a happy spring, Hilary! :)

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed this poem, it definitely was a breath of Spring hope. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, McMarshall - and good luck to you, too!

      Delete
  8. I especially love the end <3 Nice work and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet, cute entry, Ann! Love Little Miss Bright-eyes! :) And I'm with her... hoping for spring and a sight of those snowdrops! Thanks for a lovely entry!

    ReplyDelete